Wednesday, June 22, 2011

6 days to go

It's hard to describe the excitement of these days. The base work has been done, now I need to remind myself that it is show time and I should simply enjoy every bit of it. The coach reminded me to stick with the second slowest climber in the group, because feeling too strong could push me to do "too much, too early" and put my body under strain. Progressing too fast could be dangerous up the mountain. I have gone through the technical refresher on knots and medical base knowledge about symptoms and "prevention" of AMS, HAPE and HACE (High Altitude Pulmonary/Cerebral Edema).

Mentally I am ready and I have started the process of visualising the camps and the different days of climb. Modern technology (e.g. youtube video, google search engine) is really helping the process of preparing the trip: visualisation of different camps, and different routes has never been easier; and knowing the background of the other climbers and reading my team leader bio is just one click away.

The main doubt in my head is about the weather conditions. Will the weather hold up, or will my summit attempt being ruined by 3 days of intense snowing at camp 3 (@6,800m)? I do not know what will happen, but like someone told me "I do not worry about things I control because I do control them, and I do not worry about things I cannot control, because I cannot control them".

No comments:

Post a Comment